8:00 AM - 9:00 AM Breakfast
Breakfast will be served in the pre-function space outside the Ballroom
9:00AM - 9:05 AM Opening Prayer & Welcome Remarks
Craig DeRoche, Senior Vice President of Advocacy and Public Policy, Prison Fellowship
Summit Moderator: Carlton Miller, Senior Associate for Strategic Partnerships, FWD.us
9:05 AM - 9:10 AM Video Presentation: "The State of Incarceration in Mississippi"
Presented by FWD.us
9:10 AM - 9:25 AM Opening Session
Judge Keith Starrett, United States District Judge for the Southern District of Mississippi
9:25 AM - 9:35 AM Welcome from the Host
Russ Latino, Vice President of Economic Freedom, Americans for Prosperity
9:35 AM - 10:00 AM View from the Governor
The Honorable Phil Bryant, Governor of Mississippi
10:00 AM - 10:05 AM Video Presentation
Presented by American Conservative Union Foundation’s Center for Criminal Justice Reform
10:05 AM - 11:00 AM Panel Discussion: Criminal Justice Reform and the Economy
The panel will focus on the economic burdens that incarceration places on taxpayers, the workforce, and justice-involved people and their families.
- Dr. David Hughes, Professor, University of Tennessee
- Tanner Magee, Louisiana State Representative
- Joanna Weiss, Co-Director, Fees and Fines Justice Center
- Moderated by Marc Levin, Vice President of Criminal Justice Policy, Right on Crime
11:00 AM - 11:10 AM Break
Refreshments will be available in the pre-function space outside the Ballroom.
11:10 AM - 12:10 PM Panel Discussion: Criminal Justice Reform and Families
The panel will focus on incarceration’s impact on families, including data, research, and personal stories.
- Asya Branch, Miss Mississippi 2018
- Patsy Houser, Parent Advocate
- Scot Spencer, Associate Director of Advocacy and Influence, The Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Moderated by Felicity Rose, Director of Research and Policy - Criminal Justice Reform, FWD.us
12:10 PM - 1:00 PM Lunch
A buffet lunch will be served in the pre-function space outside the Ballroom.
1:00 PM - 1:30 PM Polling Presentation: Public Opinion on Criminal Justice Reform
Robert Blizzard, Partner, Public Opinion Strategies
1:30 PM - 2:30 PM Keynote Session: Bipartisan Conversation on Criminal Justice Reform
- Matt Schlapp, Chairman, American Conservative Union
- Van Jones, President and Co-Founder, #cut50
- Moderated by Michael Troncoso, Director of Criminal Justice, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
2:30 PM - 2:40 PM Break
Refreshments will be available in the pre-function space outside of the Jackson Grand Ballroom.
2:40 PM - 3:40 PM Panel Discussion: Criminal Justice Reform and Safe Communities
The panel will focus on Mississippi leaders at the local level who have advanced reforms in their communities while protecting public safety.
- Sheriff Steve Rushing, President, Mississippi Sheriffs’ Association
- Anthony Witherspoon, Mayor of Magnolia
- Juan Cloy, Deputy Director, The Police Training Institute
- Ingrid Cloy, Director, The Mississippi Center for Excellence
- Moderated by The Honorable Judge Keith Starrett
3:40 PM - 4:40 PM Lightning Sessions on Criminal Justice Policy
Policy experts will discuss proven solutions to some of Mississippi’s most pressing criminal justice problems.
- Mandatory Minimums: Molly Gill, Vice President of Policy, FAMM
- Bail and Pretrial Detention: Terry Schuster, Associate Manager of the Public Safety Performance Project, The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Reclassification of Drug Possession: Ron Gordon, General Counsel, Office of the Utah Governor
- Rightsizing Community Supervision: LaTonya Tate, Founder and Executive Director, Alabama Justice Initiative and Niyah White, Policy Associate, FWD.us
4:40 PM - 5:00 PM Closing Remarks and Prayer
Pastor CJ Rhodes, President, Clergy for Prison Reform
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM Official Summit Reception
Location: Two Mississippi Museums, 222 North St, Jackson, MS 39201
Roundtrip bus transportation between The Westin Jackson and Two Mississippi Museums will be provided.